Laminectomy, also called decompression surgery, is a medical procedure performed:
- to trim or completely remove the vertebral bone’s lamina (the back part of the vertebra) in order to create more space in the spinal canal and relieve pressure on the spinal nerves or spinal cord. Narrowing of the space in the spinal canal is a condition called spinal stenosis.
- as part of the surgery to treat a herniated spinal disk. The surgeon may have to excise part of the lamina to get to the damaged disk
- to remove spinal tumors.
Laminectomy is performed by neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons who specialized in spine surgery. The surgical procedure is only performed when physical therapy, medication and other less invasive treatments have failed.
The patient will be under general anesthesia and will feel no pain during laminectomy.
Why People Would Like To Have Laminectomy In Turkey?
Laminectomy is a major surgical procedure that requires highly-trained medical specialists as well as well–equipped healthcare facilities. It is also an expensive medical procedure.
Turkey has been gaining prominence in laminectomy and other medical procedures because of the following major reasons:
- Turkey has good hospitals as well as experienced board-certified orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons that underwent specialized in spine surgery.
- Turkey’s Ministry of Health and private health care groups closely monitor the quality of services and medical standards of the country’s healthcare providers.
- Most hospitals in Turkey are accredited by national and international organizations like the JCI (Joint Commission International), TAHA (Turkish Accredited Hospitals Association), TMA (Turkish Medical Association), JACHO (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations), ISO (International Organization for Standardization, etc.
- Some hospitals are also affiliated with John Hopkins, Harvard Medical School and other international health care providers.
- Turkey has the most number (over 30) of JCI-accredited medical facilities compared to other countries.
- Hospitals in Turkey offer state-of-the-art healthcare facilities in addition to their friendly and welcoming environment manned by multilingual doctors and clinic personnel
- It is more affordable in Turkey compared to most countries, especially Europe and US.
In the last 10 years or so, Turkey has become one of the few international medical tourism destinations which offer laminectomy or decompression spinal surgery at lower costs but at par or better than international quality standards.
A random search and comparison show that laminectomy can cost an average of $4093, with some cases costing as low as $2150.
The actual cost would be according to each patient’s needs based on custom-tailored laminectomy plans prepared by orthopedic specialists.
Türkiye: Bilsar Binası, Meşrutiyet Cad. No: 90 Şişhane/Beyoğlu İstanbul
Tel: +90 544 645 68 95